The following isn’t meant to be an android vs. iPhone bashing match. It is just something that is observational, reading on there will probably be parts of it where you sit back and think to yourself “yeah I agree”. But whatever your thoughts please comment below.
I have to say that I too have been pulled into all the anticipation of the new piece of kit from apple and I’m an android man. I mean who can escape it? it’s everywhere!
On the 12th September 2012 the new Iphone 5 was announced by apple and to be honest it was a little bit of an anti climax. I say this because since 2007 when the original iPhone was released, every year there has been something bigger and better which has just blown everyone, including us loyal android users away. Leaving us thinking “yep, they’ve done it again”. But this year I just feel like all the fuss was for nothing! well, maybe not quite nothing but very little indeed.
Each year apple seem to have been able to sprinkle that magic dust onto certain hardware or software improvements/additions and turned it into the star player of the show. What I’m trying to get at here is:
- 2007 – iPhone – Here we have a piece of equipment, that just took the entire tech industry and many others by storm. Everything about it was amazing. This device certainly set the trend for years to come, for both itself and its competitors. In the first weekend this model sold in excess of 700,000 units.
- 2008 – iPhone 3G – Instead of naming this device the “iPhone 2” it was given a name better suited to improved connectivity to well, the 3G network. This device sold in excess of 1 million units in its first weekend. The main exciting bits were, multiple software features, the ability to access over 10,000 apps and some major improvements to the app store.
- 2009 – iPhone 3Gs – This device sold the same amount as the 3G in the first weekend. It came jam-packed with more improvements as you would expect at this rate from apple. The processor was faster with 833MHz, the camera was improved to 3.2 mega pixel a compass was added and of course voice recognition.
- 2010 – iPhone 4 – Wow! We got facetime, retina display, HD recording, an improved 5 mega pixel camera, and many other exciting features including a facelift, causing this model to leap to 1.2 million sales in the first weekend. At this point in time approximately 1 in 7 smartphone users had an iPhone.
- 2011 – iPhone 4S – Now this is where we can see apple slowly running out ideas! But only slowly. It’s main feature was Siri, also accompanied by some hardware and software improvements and of course the camera.
This brings us up to present day and of course, the iPhone 5 (although it is the sixth iPhone being released!), and I can’t help but wonder if something is missing. It took me a while to figure this out but then I realised it was that one key selling point that apple have always been able to push. But for some reason, this time it isn’t there. Well for me it isn’t.
Okay Okay, you have some vastly improved hardware, maybe a couple of software tweaks. You also have an increased screen size and a new connector. But where is that feature that blows everyone away like the last lot?
It seems that apple now have to do something which they never really have had to do before – Evolve! and evolve quickly. Android have been forced to evolve over the years and look where they are now, if it wasn’t for apple android wouldn’t be where it is. But now is the time where apple need to take a leaf from android’s book and really pull out all the stops in terms of innovation, design and general “let’s blow everyone awayness”. To be honest, things really could start getting interesting from now on.
Android are now in a position where they are playing on a level playing field. The Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean operating systems are now proving that android really has got the reliability to perform, and with features such as Google Now proving that it can function just as well or even better than anything released on the iPhone.
But boiling back to the point. Yes the software is better than before, yes it’s got a bigger screen and yes it looks crisp and clean. But, really, where is the wow factor?
The iPhone 5 will do well, it always does. It will even perform better sales than ever before and hats off to them for that! But in this case I think a lot of loyal apple fans were a little disappointed. I’m not a fan of apple’s and even I was disappointed!
The iPhone 5 – “Brilliant but Boring”.
I’d Like to leave you with this picture I found funny! Click here.
Thanks for reading. Do you have any thoughts on the new iPhone? Comments on what I have written? Do you have any suggestions on what I should write about in future?
I’d love to hear from you.🙂